Thursday, September 1, 2016

Somedays You Just Have To Pick Your Battles...

Today is one of those days where you literally just have to pick your battles. Today was picture day at school, don't know what they look like, but heard from the teacher that Johnny looks like the most "down in the dumps" kid out of the group, so they took several in the hopes that one is decent. Heard that he had a meltdown at lunch because he didn't want to eat what the cafeteria was serving, and decided that only eating the chips and just a few baked beans constituted as eating lunch today. I am constantly reminding myself today that I really have to pick my battles, what is worth fighting over, and what can I just let go and remember that tomorrow is another day.

Thankfully tomorrow is another day, that happens to be my birthday. I am turning 35 tomorrow, and Johnny is going to spend the night with his Aunt Jo. He has a blast when he spends the night with her and Uncle Mike, hopefully tomorrow is no exception to that. We got brave about a year or so ago and let Johnny start staying the night with them, which was quite hard on all of us, but figured that it needed to be done. He has always been a terrible sleeper, and is actually on medication to help him sleep, but we found for the longest time that he wouldn't sleep anywhere but home. One trip over to his aunt and uncle's he lost his fight with his meds and fell asleep there. So his aunt told us to just let him sleep, so we did. That night was the worst sleep that his dad and I had ever gotten. It has gotten some better, for all of us, to where we get more sleep, and don't wake up to check on Johnny, who isn't here. It was such a huge step for all of us, and we don't let him sleep over often, but every once in a while it is certainly a nice thing for all of us.

So while I am typing this, and he should be in bed sleeping, I hear him chattering in his room about his "surprise" tomorrow, as we haven't told him, I guess this is the battle that I am going to pick and try to get him to settle down and go to sleep. Lord knows 7:30 AM comes awfully early...especially on a super busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment