Sunday, September 4, 2016

When Reality Hits You

As some of you may know, I work at the front desk of a local hotel. I love my job and more importantly I love my guests. Well this morning during morning check out, one of my housekeepers came to me with pictures of one of her rooms that was just completely trashed. Upon first looking at the pictures I was upset that someone would leave a room like this, especially when they have an AARP rate. Thinking to myself, I just can't believe that someone that age would even think to do this. As the head housekeeper asked me about who stayed in that room, as she was pulling trash bags with pull-ups out of her trash cart, I checked...and then I was instantly mad at myself.

While I didn't actually see the people who stayed in that room, and the name didn't ring any bells for me, her email address that was listed on her reservation struck me like a knife. The first part of her email was autism....I told the head housekeeper as well as the housekeeper who was cleaning the room, that I know that it isn't an excuse, but someone who had autism clearly stayed in that room, and that chances are they were left unattended for even the slightest bit of time. Like I said I knew almost instantly after searching a bit that I was looking at what autism can do when someone who has it is in a new environment.

My heart is breaking for the poor child/person who stayed with us last night, and I am truly sorry that I was judgmental at first of the person who rented the room. Reality has hit me hard today, and I am truly thankful and blessed for all those in our lives that help make Johnny who he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment